Project Minima:

Monday, October 2, 2017

Rusty Maroon, I presume

~ the color of my latest version of the Serena dress ~

The same as the Tina Givens Serena pattern that I modified in navy jersey and linen seen in my last post.


~ scarlet-fied by hitting one of those alteration buttons in photoshop ~


~ but this is more true to color ~

What a difference a change of fabrics makes in a dress.  Even though it's the same type of fabric with the same modifications to the pattern - whoa, this baby had different needs.

Again using only what I had on hand, the jersey was a lighter weight, heathered, brick red/black jersey with lycra and the linen was a heavier-weight, rough marsala linen with horizontal dark script in French.  I put them together based on color, but it was the difference in weight that made for some interesting construction dynamics.


~ see the horizontal heathered lines combined with the horizontal script ~

And the uni-suspender.  That heavy-weight linen pulled that light-weight stretchy jersey way, way down south.  I found that floral bit from a kimono tie I had previously sewn up, added button holes and used it to hold up the skirt portion.  I even found two perfect buttons in my stash.   The bit of horizontal stitching you see to left is some boro-esque play on the center back flap I was experimenting with...


~ ready for take off ~


I also had to raise the waistline under the arm area and raise the shoulder area to accommodate for all the downward stretching.  So there's little tucks and folds and boro here and there.



But how about those socks?

~ and good ole Trippens from ebay ~


And now it's time to celebrate with Patti and the Visibles at Not Dead Yet Style, Catherine's I Will Wear What I Like, and Cheri's Shoe and Tell.  Hope to see you there!


26 comments:

  1. Love that colour so much! You’ve been taking lessons from Mel and her mitten clips, haven’t you? The unisuspender is the perfect solution to drooping. And the yummy shoes too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've got on one of your colors, Louisa. I was looking for my mitten clips for this one, but I couldn't find them anywhere. Had to resort to buttonholes and buttons. Just as well, I suppose...

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous fall colours! I love that fabric with the text on it, and the suspender! Great fun, and practical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tine! You're back. Or maybe it's just me that went missing. Anyway, glad I found your blog to visit again.

      Delete
  3. I like both your blue dress and your marsala version. I especially love the fabric that has writing on it.
    It is so interesting to see how different fabrics behave. I have one pattern I've made 12 times and each time the fit is different because of the fabric.
    Also love, Love, LOVE your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Barbara! What a surprise to see you here in print! How fun was your reunion? Did you wear the TNT? I'd luv to see the 12 versions. It could be an art exhibition.

      Delete
  4. All these fabrics are marvelous together, and you are a talented engineer of style. Yes, the sox are the bomb. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trial and error engineering, that's my playbook. I can't stand to let things go that I've been working on. Oh my goodness, the sox. My new favorite brand - muk luks. Like buttah.

      Delete
  5. So many interesting things in this dress - the patterns and colours and the hanging bits and of course the uni-suspender. The colour is what really gets me. I wish Photoshop could do all my alterations too. Heh. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you've brought the uni-suspender to high-fashion consciousness for all to plunder. Thank you, your Melness. I know, photoshop is the devil for details.

      Delete
  6. I love how playful you are with your creating. And how your glasses match! Of course I adore the boro bits. Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You notice everything, Jazzy Jack. I've become mesmerized by all things boro-like.

      Delete
  7. Those socks and shoes are the bomb! The shoes look so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you Coco. I haven't been getting any notices from Bloglovin' about your posts and wondered if it was due to Irma...

      Delete
  8. The suspender is a stroke of genius. As the daughter of an engineer, I like to see my structural supports on the outside rather than the inside. FYI: this came at me from Bloglovin' so go figure. Miyake pattern not here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was nothing else that could be done.
      Meanwhile with Miyake, I did figure out the dart at the shoulder of the sleeve (I think). But...the whole thing does not fit together because of the enlarging I had done. I gave up for now, but I do think it'll be do-able one day. I was using summery fabric and with that neckline (front and back) it wasn't going to be wearable with this weather anyway. I still await your genius on the matter.

      Delete
  9. I love that maroon colour, so 1970s and rarely seen these days!
    That dress is fantastic as are the socks and the groovy shoes and the woman wearing them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vix, according to my 11-year-old, it's super-popular this year. Which means there might be some in the charity shops in a year or few ;)

      Delete
  10. I love this dress! The grouping of close but different shades, the stitching, the one-shoulder brace, the handwriting print - it's all perfect. And of course, great shoes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, such high praise, I'm blushing a shade of rusty maroon right now.

      Delete
  11. You don't see that colour very often anymore in clothing, but it is such a nice, rich autumn colour. Bravo on the inclusion of a unisuspender!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Well, since I don't shop (new or used) except for fabric now and then, I guess I wouldn't know what's come and gone and returned again. Interesting, that about colors. Yes, the unisuspender surely saved the day.

      Delete
  12. I'm at a loss for words after reading all the comments. So once again, YUP!!! Cool stuff goin'on here. I like the Frankensteinian approach. I've also become obsessed with anything boro-esque. Was it in the water or should we blame it on the Jung's collective consciousness? Regardless, I like it. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmm...forgive the typos etc. Too lazy to write it all again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was typos? Yes, boro is the new black, it seems. I'm only centuries late at it. And that's okay. Miss you.

      Delete